Friday 10 February 2012

I hate Sea World





I really hate Seaworld! I remember going when I was younger to the one in Florida and I felt anxious the entire time I was there. At the time I thought it was because I was scared of the animals... Now when I look back on it, I realise that I was feeling uncomfortable because of the cruel nature of the 'theme park'. For me there is nothing worse than feeling trapped in a small space and I can't believe that these poor animals are spending a lifetime suffering...



When I saw on the news that one of the Seaworld trainers had been killed by a killer Whale, it horrified me! I read everything I could about Tilikum the whale. Dawn Brancheau was the third person Tilikum had killed.

Although it is utterly tragic that one of the trainers was killed in this nature, I had hoped that it would inevitably lead to the downfall of Seaworld. It's disgusting to think that in 2012, places like this are still allowed to exist. I am ashamed that I have even set foot inside a Seaworld park and given money to a company happy to cause distress to animals for financial gain.


What the news channels reported.



The news report in the link above also really annoys me...

1. It highlights how small Tilikum's section of the 'Tank' is... Many of the articles that I have read which slate Seaworld explain that this whale is kept away from the others as it is so large and used primarily for breeding. It's bad enough keeping any wild animal in captivity, then they keep their largest Killer Whale sectioned off for prolonged periods of time, in a space so small that it can barely move... In the wild Orcas live in pods as they are very sociable creatures, they can reach top speeds of 50 km/hr and swim from 120-160 km every 24 hours.




2. I can't beleive that they state that Tilikum is used primarily to 'Splash the Audience' !!!!! That's not a real thing... Animals should not have job descriptions....

The entire experience is terrible, nature is not meant to be sterile or controlled.

Sitting with a giant hot dog, nachos, extra large fries and a bucket of coke watching a tormented animal do tricks for frozen fish... Brilliant





Here is a section from the Sea world website about the latest Killer Whale show...

'Dive into the exhilaration of the sea in our all-new Shamu show, 'One Ocean'. The energy and spirit of the ocean envelops you in a multi-sensory celebration of life underneath the sea that entertains as it educates and inspires. Majestic killer whales join you on a journey into a world that drenches your senses in the vivid colors, vitality and global rhythms of the ocean. Dancing fountains set the stage as you connect with thrilling sea creatures and realize we are all part of one world, one ocean. Your soul is ignited as our worlds are united… and you realize that we all have the power to make a difference in this planet we share. '

I hate the way they are trying to make everything sound so natural, designed to overshadow the brutality of what is actually happening.

One of the things that is most puzzling about Sea World is their 'trainers'... These people are supposedly trained marine biologists who love animals?!!! How can you be educated in marine biology and think that working at SeaWorld is a good idea? Surely these people are the ones who should be most aware of the suffering caused by keeping animals in captivity?

 I wish I could free all animals from captivity....

File:Peeking Orca.jpg



No comments:

Post a Comment